What can’t I do?

You cannot without reasonable cause, leave your place of residence unless you are undertaking particular activities. Some reasonable excuses are:

  • Legal obligations
  • Obtaining food or other goods or services for personal needs of the of the household or household for a vulnerable person
  • Travelling for the purposes of childcare
  • Exercise
  • Obtaining medical care and supplies
  • Donating blood
  • Moving to a new residence either residential or commercial
  • Access social services


What is a household?

Is any persons living together in the same place of residence.


Can I go on a mini break or holiday?

No, this is not a reasonable excuse under the legislation. All camping grounds are closed unless you live there on a permanent basis or visiting a resident.


What are the exceptions to this ?

  • Being homeless
  • If you are having a gathering of two (2) or less people
  • Gathering for the purposes of work
  • Gathering where all persons are a part of your household
  • Gathering for a wedding – no more than five (5) people including the celebrant
  • Gathering for a funeral – no more than ten (10) people including the person conducting the service
  • Moving residence whether it be residential or commercial premises
  • Gathering to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person
  • Gathering to provide emergency assistance
  • Gathering necessary for a person to fulfill a legal obligation (including attending court, tribunal, satisfying bail requirements or participating in legal process).


Are there any consequences for not abiding by this?

Yes, Police have the power and are starting to issue penalty notices. under the Public Health Act An individual will receive a $1,000 fine and a corporation or company will receive a fine of $5,000.

If you take the matter to court or are sent to court the maximum penalty is up to six (6) months imprisonment and/or $11,000 fine plus $5,000 for each day that it continues for individuals. or companies the maximum penalty is $55,000 and $27,500 for each day it continues.

Need legal advice? Catron Simmons can help.