What happens to my superannuation when I die?

In New South Wales (NSW) the distribution of your superannuation upon your death is governed by the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 and the rules of your superannuation fund. Meaning that your superannuation benefits and insurance do not automatically form a part of the estate. It is often to the ‘estates’ advantage to keep superannuation […]

What happens if the Executor of a Will has deceased in NSW?

An executor is a person named in a will that is responsible for administering the deceased estate. The executor’s role is always to administer the estate in the best interests of the beneficiaries. In circumstances where the executor has deceased, unable or not willing to act, there are multiple avenues for the estate dependant on […]

What is a Binding Financial Agreement?

A Financial Agreement is an effective tool for couples in managing their estate planning. Financial Agreements allow couples to pre-determine what they quantify as a fair distribution of their finances and assets, in the event of a relationship breakdown, death of one party, or mental illness. What is a Financial Agreement? As mentioned above, a […]

Top Traps to Avoid When Buying a Property

Buying a home is the biggest investment or financial outlay that most of us will make in a lifetime. It is critical to your financial future that you make well-informed decisions when you purchase a property, whether it be for your own home or an investment. The Contract for Sale of Land basically follows the […]

Drink Driving and the Alcohol Interlock Program NSW

In New South Wales, driving after consuming alcohol is regulated by the Road Transport Act 2013 and the Road Transport (Alcohol and Drugs) Act 1977. These acts set out the legal framework for drink driving offences, prescribed blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limits, and the penalties associated with violating these limits. These offences are taken very […]

Deceased Estates – What Happens When Executors Don’t Agree

When someone dies, their assets are usually distributed according to their will. The person responsible for managing and distributing these assets is the “executor” of the deceased estate. In some cases, a will appoints more than one person to act as executor, and these individuals normally need to work cooperatively to execute the duties of […]

Need legal advice? Catron Simmons can help.